Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Thankful For the Good Days

So many days we focus on the pain. Don't get me wrong, flare days (or weeks, or months) are no fun. Some days I drag my butt to the computer and try to stay awake and spend my days making phone calls that I need to make, and that's the extent of the work I get done. 

But some days are perfect. Yesterday was one of those perfect days. It was also my daughters fifteenth birthday and I was so thankful  I woke up feeling physically well! We had made big plans to go to the local theme park/water park. 

Now when we go to this place it involves a lot of "stuff". Two backpacks full of large beach towels, refillable cups with straws, bathing suits, suntan lotion, snacks and other odds and ends. It is about an hour drive each way and the day involves lots of walking, swimming and it can get really hot. All of this carrying, driving, heat and walking can start or exacerbate a flare of fibromyalgia. I was pretty aware that I would wake up today at least a little sore, or at worst in a full blown flare. I tried not to focus on that during our day though, even though it's hard to push that kind of anxiety to the back of your head. 

We had so much fun! I swear these kind of days are my favorite. My son has become such a great swimmer and he was so proud to be able to go in the wave pool without a vest. Mind you, he had me, both of his sisters (my daughter and my step daughter) and me surrounding him. The girls are best buddies and shopped, giggled and cat called to the dancers while we ate snacks by the water falls. Only two minor hiccups, The boy child fell and scraped his leg up pretty good (and he takes this quite personally which means pouting commenced for about 20 minutes) and we lost one of the refillable cups (those suckers are like 13 bucks, thank you theme park for being so expensive!) but luckily we went back to the pizza shop and they had it.  All in all though it was a really great day and I think the girl child enjoyed her fantastic birthday. 

So yes, today I am in a flare. It is moderate, not the worst. But I can live with this because yesterday I felt great and I had a blast with my kiddos. This is something I, and my fellow Fibromyalgia suffering friends should keep in mind. But absolutely me because I know I tend to fall into a slump after dealing with this crap for long enough. When you have a good day you need to grab onto it and live to the fullest. Yes, let yourself take it easier during your flare times. But don't get caught in that cycle. LIVE during your good days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment